As with every trend in pet health and well-being, when it comes to CBD for dogs, there is a lot of information online. Of course, you want the best CBD for dogs and so, it makes sense to know all you can about CBD and the various products out there. In this reading, we are going to look at several facts about CBD oil that you need to know. We’re going to explain what it is, how it affects dogs as well as its safety concerns.
What is CBD?
Formally known as cannabidiol, CBD is one of the 104 compounds found in hemp and cannabis. It is important to note that cannabidiol, in most cases, does not contain delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, which is the compound that gives weed its psychoactive properties. As a matter of fact, most CBD products are extracted from hemp and not marijuana.
How Does Cannabidiol Affect Your Pet?
Currently, there is no formal study on how cannabidiol effects dogs. However, studies show that cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) receptors found in the peripheral and central nervous systems. The ECS is responsible for maintaining balance in the body and keep it in a healthy state. It controls aspects such as temperature, mood, pain, appetite, etc and so, it is easy to see how these aspects could be affected by introducing cannabinoids from CBD.
What Afflictions Can Cannabidiol Treat?
As mentioned above, there is no definitive scientific data on using cannabidiol to treat dogs. However, there is anecdotal evidence from many pet owners suggesting that it can alleviate pain, particularly neuropathic pain. It also helps control seizures.
CBD is ideally utilized due to its anti-inflammatory properties, anti-nausea effects, cardiac benefits, anxiety alleviation, appetite stimulation and even potential anti-cancer benefits, even though there is no conclusive research on this use.
There are many scientists out there who are currently assessing the use of cannabidiol in treatment-resistant epileptic pets. A breakthrough in this research will certainly be life-changing to dogs with this condition.
CBD can ideally shows a lot of promise for degenerative myelopathy and other nerve and spine issues. Since it has been shown to help individuals with cognitive conditions like Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s, due to its ability to protect brain cells from toxins, it is safe to assume that it can protect the brain cells of senior dogs from dying.
What Are The Possible Side Effects of Cannabidiol in Dogs?
There is also no scientific data on the side effects of CBD use on dogs, but there are a few potential side effects, based on how the compound affects human beings:
1. Drowsiness– Pet owners can utilize CBD to alleviate anxiety. However, the calming effect can ideally cause drowsiness, particularly when using higher doses.
2. Dry Mouth– According to research, cannabidiol reduces the production of saliva and for your furry friend, this would manifest as an increase in thirst.
3. A drop in Blood Pressure– High CBD doses has been known to lead to a temporary fall in blood pressure. The drop might be slight, but it can result in brief light-headedness.
The Risks of Using Cannabidiol
The safety & risks of utilizing CBD for dogs hasn’t been researched either. The FDA hasn’t approved CBD and hasn’t released a dosing chart. As such, we really don’t know what dosage would be toxic. Any supplement or medication has the risk of a reaction. As such, it is always wise when giving your pet something new, to begin with small doses and then monitor the effects closely. Ideally, it’s advisable to first check with your Vet.
The Best CBD For Dogs
If you and your vet decide that you should give CBD as a treatment for your pet a try, there are some things you may want to keep in mind when buying CBD products. Not all cannabidiol oils are the same. You will want top-of-the-line CBD oil in order to have the best chance of it working. Here are some tips for picking the best CBD for dogs.
1. Go Organic– If the product is not organic, ensure that it does not contain solvents, fungicides or pesticides.
2. Do Not be Cheap– The higher the purity and quality of a CBD product, the higher the cost. You do not want to go for a cheap option as it could contain toxic substances like heavy metals, herbicides and pesticides. Ensure that the product is free of any additives.
3. Purchase CBD as a Tincture- It’s possible to purchase dog treats that have CBD, but a tincture is the best form to administer. That’s because it allows you to adjust the dosage drop by drop.
4. Get The Analysis– The product manufacturer should include a certificate that tells you the amount of cannabidiol in the product. Most CBD oils have just small amounts of the compound. You will ideally want to ensure that there is little to no THC in the oil.
To read more on topics like this, check out the lifestyle category.