Gamstop has become an essential part of the online gambling industry in the United Kingdom. The scheme has a significant impact on the UK gambling scene. It is now compulsory for UK casino to partner with the self-exclusion scheme as this constitute a part of their licensing condition. In other words, a gambling site won’t be able to acquire a UKGC without registering with Gamstop.
Since the Gamstop scheme’s establishment in 2018, it has been of tremendous help to numerous gamers as it helps them combat addiction. It enables them to have total control of their gambling habits.
What is Gamstop?
Gamstop is a self-exclusion program designed for UK players who want to stay away from gambling for a stipulated time to control their gambling habit. It is a helpful tool created to prevent problematic gambling or addiction.
The self-exclusion scheme is available to all UK players who want to self-exclude themselves from all UKGC licensed gambling sites. To register, visit the official website of the scheme. Fill the recommended forms with the right information, and you will be excluded from UK online casinos within 24 hours. Gamstop self-exclusion period varies from 6 months to five years.
What are the Pros and Cons of the Gamstop Scheme?
Our examination of the effect of Gamstop on the Gambling industry will not complete if we don’t look into the pros and cons of this scheme. Here are some of the merits and demerits of this program:
- It helps supports responsible gambling. Online casinos and sportsbooks registered with the scheme are reliable, but they have also contributed their quota towards preventing problematic gambling.
- Gambling might be quite challenging to quit, but Gamstop offers gamers a simple and effective way to stay away from gambling.
- Gamstop website has excellent support for problem gamblers whenever the excluded gamblers have an urge to bet.
- Registering with Gamstop does not stop players from receiving gambling promotional emails and ads.
- Opting out of the Gamstop self-exclusion is almost impossible.
- It is possible to be coaxed, forced, or pressured to register with the Gamstop stop scheme despite being a self-exclusion scheme.
- There is a possibility of being permanently blacklisted by some gambling sites. As such, you might not have access to such websites after the expiration of your self-ban period.
- Inhibited players can decide to register and gamble on sites not registered with the scheme.
How has Gamstop affected the Gambling Industry
Gamstop has impacted the Gambling industry in so many ways. First, it is one of the conditions for the UKGC license. All UKGC licensees are expected to partner with the self-exclusion scheme. Once players register on this scheme, their name will be enlisted in the Gamstop database and will be excluded from all gambling sites covered by Gamstop.
Gamstop has helped in the promotion of responsible gambling by preventing addiction among players. There are several signs of addiction, which include hiding your gambling activities, betting with money meant for more important things, losing your friendship, relationship due to gambling, and many more. If you notice any of these signs, you should not hesitate to register with the scheme.
Furthermore, Casinos not on gamstop have become popular over the years. This is because they allow Gamstop users to bet on their favorite games and sports. One of the disadvantages of the program is that many players can be forced to register. Such players often found themselves looking for a way to breach the agreement soon after their self-exclusion. Therefore, they look for ways to continue playing their favorite casino games.
These categories of players tend to look for non-UKGC regulated gambling sites. Several high-ranking international casino sites are not registered with Gamstop. These websites are not operating under UKGC restriction, which applies to bonuses and other aspects of the gambling site.
Apart from being a condition for UKGC license, partnering with Gamstop shows that a casino site supports responsible gambling. Furthermore, it has also been discovered that several Gamstop users seek reputable non UKGC gambling sites to bypass the scheme.