Whether you are financially secure to be able to afford the most expensive and latest smartphones and laptops or bootstrapping to buy your first device, buying these electronic devices is never a rash decision.
To buy laptops and smartphones online, you need to understand some basic features to ensure you get the maximum value for your investment in the absence of eager sales personnel who guide your purchase decisions in traditional brick-and-mortar stores.
While it may seem easier to buy these devices offline, you save both time and money while shopping online since e-commerce websites often offer mind-boggling discounts.
Checking these basic features and details will help you make better purchase decisions when buying electronics online.
- Price: Setting a budget is often the first step for online shopping. It helps you weed out irrelevant search results, and gives you an idea of the specific features you can get within your budget. This will also help you adjust your budget in case some features are unavailable in your selected price bracket.
- Size and Weight: Everyone has a preferred size when it comes to smartphones, laptops, or tablets. The size of your device determines its portability and convenience. You don’t want a phone to be too big for your hands to use easily, or your tablet to be too small to read comfortably.
For laptops, in addition to the size, weight also matters. If you travel with your laptop regularly it is important to ensure it is light enough to be carried easily.
- Battery Life: It is needless to say that you don’t want the battery of your devices to die every couple of hours regardless of whether you bought the most expensive or the least expensive smartphone or laptop.
The battery capacity is indicated by the mAH unit in electronic devices. The higher the mAH, the higher is its capacity meaning higher charge-retention and longer runtimes, and vice versa. It is important to keep in mind that the battery runtime also depends on your usage.
Ensuring a good battery life for all your devices is crucial for a seamless user experience post-purchase. Some e-commerce websites might even allow you to put a filter for battery capacity, to make your search easier.
- Internal Storage: Having decent storage on your smartphone or laptop is essential to ensure smooth functioning. You may have noticed your phone or laptop becoming slow after a year of usage because your internal storage is full.
Your internal storage gets used when you download applications and store data like photos and videos. While storage can always be expanded with external memory cards, it is recommended to buy smartphones with at least 64GB and laptops with at least 500GB of internal space, if you do not use your devices for storage of heavy multimedia files.
- Processor: The processor of your smartphone or laptop is responsible for executing all commands, and the higher its speed, the faster your applications work.
The higher the number of cores in your processor, the higher its efficiency, and the cooler it remains while operating. Incidentally, the price of your electronics also goes up with the number of cores, so you should choose your processor depending on your usage needs. Heavier usage will require more processing power to execute commands faster.
There are a lot of other features that are necessary to check when buying smartphones online like camera quality, RAM, build quality & more, but ticking off this basic checklist will allow you to ensure you have a reliable device for your usage needs.