Phoenix is a beautiful city with a rich history. The town of Phoenix was settled in 1867 and was incorporated as the City of Phoenix in 1881. Until World War Two, Phoenix’s economy was based on the “Five C’s”: cotton, citrus, cattle, climate, and copper. Post-World War Two, the City of Phoenix started to grow more rapidly, as men who trained in the military installations in the valley, returned, bringing their families along with them. When the availability of air conditioning and an influx of industry, led by tech companies, the 1950s only further stimulated its population growth. Phoenix is currently ranked the 5th largest city in the United States based on population and by 2020, it is predicted that Phoenix will rank 4th largest city in the US based on population.
Being in such a large city, with a massive population, we have pulled together some essential hacks to enjoy life in Phoenix.
- Yearly Membership at the Phoenix Zoo
- If you’re looking for a quick getaway in Phoenix from the ever-industrializing society, visiting the Phoenix Zoo is an easy way to get back into nature with a fun dose of knowledge. The Phoenix Zoo is home to a whopping 3,000+ animals, representing nearly 400 species. That’s a lot of nature, exploring, and learning to do! A neat fact about the Phoenix Zoo is it’s currently the largest privately-owned zoo in the US, which means the zoo remains open on most major holidays! Snice the opening of the Phoenix Zoo, there have been many expansions and adding multiple exhibits and programs, the Phoenix Zoo is a wonderful treat all year round. Regular admission prices are a bit pricey if you’re visiting the Phoenix Zoo multiple times a year, however if you’re looking to save then the membership packages are the way to go. The prices at the Phoenix Zoo range from $69 – $279 . Some of the membership packages even allow you to bring a guest or two. Below are what the membership packages offer!
- Taking Art Classes at Circle 6 Studios
- Circle 6 Studios is a small private studio dedicated to providing artists a place to develop their artistic skills and create their masterpieces. Circle 6 Studios allows you to view and purchase numerous one-of-a-kind art pieces made by local Phoenix artist. If you’re feeling inspired from the art work, Circle 6 Studios offers art classes from Beginning to Advanced levels to help you create your own inspirational art pieces. Circle 6 Studios also partners with other local institutions such as breweries, to hold special events. If you have friends visiting from out of town, or want to expand your artistic skills with different mediums, then Circle 6 Studios is a must do Phoenix staple!
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- Taking a trip from Phoenix is an easy and straightforward process, especially if you’re departing from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Phoenix Airport is easily accessible from downtown and was ranked one of USA’s best airports in 2016. With negligible wait times at security, respectably low delay and cancellation rates, the only real complaint about the Phoenix Airport are the number of lounges for its size. Off-site Phoenix Airport parking was also mentioned as being one of the cheapest options with multiple ways to book. The Phoenix Airport has partnered with third-party companies such as Way.com, RetailMeNot, and Ebates to give you the best rates and to help save money on Phoenix Airport parking. Phoenix Airport, and vicinity, offers great long term Phoenix airport parking deals and continues to make flying through them a pleasant experience.
- The Farm at South Mountain
- One of Phoenix’s best-kept secrets is The Farm at South Mountain. An Arizona forerunner in the farm-to-table movement, The Farm at South Mountain is an international destination with over 200 events and 100,000 visitors a year. This Farm holds multiple events including farmer’s markets, festivals (a lot of which are free), and even allows you to book the venue for an event of your own. Not only does The Farm at South Mountain make it easy for you to buy fresh local produce but also gives you a fun and beautiful venue for seasonal festivals and events.
- Yearly Membership at the Phoenix Zoo
Life in Phoenix, Arizona is a beautiful melting pot of culture, history, food, and fun. While this list does not cover all the essential experiences in Phoenix, we hope it sparked a fire for you and got you up and ready to explore all that Phoenix has to offer.
To read more on topics like this, check out the traveling category.