Studying for a medical degree to become a doctor can be a very lengthy process no matter where you live. In the UK, a medical degree can last up to 6 years and in the USA, it can be even longer. Depending on the route you take with some spending up to 8 years, with the first 4 years being an undergraduate degree followed by 4 years of medical school.
Being in school for such a long period of time makes medicine one of the most expensive degrees at university. According to the AAMC, the average cost of attending medical school in the USA was $34,592 per year in 2017. In the UK, the tuition fees are roughly £9,000 per year. Students must pay for tuition fees as well as living costs without a full-time income. Living in these countries will also mean that rents will be high and general living costs will also be higher than other countries. Although loans are available to help with the finances, they may not always be ideal in the long term.
What if there was a way to study medicine and become a doctor without having to pay such high tuition fees and living costs? Well, if you want a more affordable option then a great way to accomplish this is by studying medicine abroad. There are many countries that offer lower tuition fees than the UK or USA and not a lot of people know about them!
Why should you study medicine if it is so expensive?
Studying a medical degree is the first step in becoming a doctor that treats patients in hospitals and clinics. Every doctor must study medicine at university, and this is an extremely competitive field for several reasons.
A few reasons why you should study medicine even though its expensive:
- Job Security – There is a shortage of doctors all around the world so it will be a difficult scenario to imagine facing difficulties in finding a job. Unlike other professions, this market is not saturated, and hospitals need more doctors.
- High Return on Investment – Since there are shortages of doctors and the demand is never truly fulfilled, you can look at high pay checks in the future as hospitals can pay large sums to specialist doctors. Although, you probably will not earn a high salary straight out of medical school as you will need to gain experience in a certain speciality.
- Fulfilling Job – Being a doctor is all about helping people! If you have a desire to build a meaningful career where you have a direct effect on the health and wellbeing of individuals, then being a doctor is the perfect opportunity for you.
These are just a few of the benefits of becoming a doctor so it is a worthwhile investment.
Where can you study medicine for cheaper?
There are many options available to students all around the world however our top contender in affordable studies will be to study medicine in Europe. Many countries around Europe can offer not only cheaper tuition fees but the living costs can also be dramatically low. Some the countries that have affordable tuition fees include:
- Ukraine – Tuition fees as low as €3,000 per year
- Romania – Tuition fees as low as €5,000 per year
- Bulgaria – Tuition fees as low as €7,000 per year
If you were to compare these few countries to the likes of the UK and the USA then it becomes clear why you can save a lot of money by taking the leap and studying your medical degree abroad in Europe.
By studying your medical degree abroad, you can also take advantage of great exchange rates that translate into cheaper living costs. Local goods and products may not be as expensive as your home country due to the difference in the currency and purchasing power.
What other reasons are there to study medicine abroad?
Studying any degree abroad can open your horizons as you get to travel to new countries and experience different cultures. It helps you learn how to interact with people who may not share the same values as you do.
As a doctor, you will have to meet different patients on a regular basis and being able to communicate with them effectively is particularly important. Not everybody will be able to speak your language and understand what you are trying to ask them.
By studying a degree in another country, you can give yourself time to pick up new communication skills that will go a long way in medicine.